Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Won Ton Chicken Salad


This recipe came from my friend Yumi. She is Japanese, but I don't believe that the recipe is. It's delicious and a real crowd pleaser. We make it a lot for big family parties. This recipe makes enough for our family, but I usually double it because we usually only serve it for guests.


Won Ton Chicken Salad

1 small pack of wonton skins (cut ¼ inch strips)
These are available in the produce section of most grocery stores. Half of the package is usually enough for a double batch of salad. I usually cut them with a pizza cutter and then deep fry them in a small amount of vegetable oil. Cook them in small batches; be careful not to let them burn. Dry on a double thickness of paper towel and set aside. 

2-3 chicken breasts
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup water
Combine the soy sauce, sugar and water in a small sauce pan and add the chicken breasts. Bring to a boil and then simmer on low until the meat has cooked for about one hour. It should be shreddable when it's done. Let cool and then shred or cut into bite-sized chunks.

1 head of romaine lettuce, torn into bite size pieces

Mix chicken and lettuce and toss until well mixed.

Dressing (this makes enough for a double batch of salad)

2-3 small green onions, chopped
¼ cup sesame seeds, toasted (I don’t think I’ve ever used a full quarter cup, mostly because I am too cheap with my sesame seeds. It works fine with just a very generous sprinkling. I also buy them already toasted.)
3 Tbsp sugar
½ cup salad oil
1/3 cup white wine vinegar (I’ve used plain white vinegar and it works just fine)
1/3 cup soy sauce

Mix dressing ingredients and set aside. When ready to serve, toss in wontons and dressing with chicken and lettuce
.

No comments:

Post a Comment