Search This Blog

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Best Baked Beans


At about the time Bob and I were married, I learned of the intense competition to be the best bean baker in his family. I thought his baked beans were excellent. But a couple of years ago, one of our neighbors brought this dish to a neighborhood party, and I don't think we've made his usual recipe since. This one takes longer than Bob's, which is made on the stove top. This also makes quite a lot of beans, so feel free to cut the recipe in half if you're not cooking for a crowd.

Baked Beans

8-10 generous servings

4 15-ounce cans of pork and beans
2 large onions, chopped
2 large green peppers, chopped
1 cup catsup
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce
1 pound lean bacon cut up, cooked crisp, then drained and crumbled

Combine ingredients thoroughly. Pour into a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Bake for 2 1/2 hours, covered with foil, at 325 degrees. Uncover and bake for another 30 minutes. Serve hot.

2 comments:

  1. I made this baked bean recipe tonight, and it is a keeper! I made one alteration, besides halving the recipe as you suggest for a smaller group. I used pre-cooked sausage links instead of bacon because I'm not always a big bacon fan. I took about six links and sliced them up and put them in with the beans. Yum! Thanks!

    By the way, I checked my recipes and had a baked bean recipes similar to this although some of the proportions were slightly different and my recipe had pineapple tidbits in it. I always liked that recipe, but I think that this one will replace that, unless I have a ton of extra pineapple tidbits. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try sausage as a substitute for the bacon. Mine is a family of bacon-mongers, but they'll generally go for just about any kind of highly processed pork. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete