Search This Blog

Friday, October 30, 2009

Shamelessly Stolen Oatmeal Cookies


Normally when I post a recipe, it's something that I've found somewhere else and have modified a bit to make it my own. In a couple of cases I've actually come up with what I think of as totally original recipes. In this case, I've borrowed a recipe wholesale from the blog of my high school friend Kip. My kids have embraced this recipe so enthusiastically that they start singing for joy as soon as they smell them cooking in the oven. Kip has a great story about how he came to have this recipe which you can find here. But if the recipe is what you're really looking for, I've taken the liberty of copying it part and parcel here (although I did change the name of the recipe and added in the cooking time that I like best). They're wonderful cookies.

Shamlessly Stolen Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 cup shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 ½ cups flour
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups oats
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Cream sugars and shortening. Blend in vanilla and eggs. Then add dry ingredients, oats, and nuts. Roll in balls and place on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown, about 14 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. You can steal recipes from me anytime, Kathy! It's not like these are my original recipes. I've gotten them from family, friends, magazines, websites, other blogs, etc. Like you, I sometimes make modifications to suit my individual tastes, but usually not. I just try to get the recipe when I taste something I like.

    By the way, why do your cookies look so much better than mine? I guess part of the reason is that I shape the dough into rolls for convenience sake and then slice the rolls when I'm in the mood for oatmeal cookies. They taste great that way, but they don't look as aesthetically appealing as yours do. Also, thanks for the baking time. I've been meaning to include that in my recipe.

    You seem to have discovered something I already know, which is that many of my best recipes are my cookie recipes. That's what I started out making as a kid, and I've been collecting recipes ever since. There are still many more to come. Oh, and I'd recommend that you try the French Swiss Cookies and the Date-Filled Cookies if you haven't tried them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kip. I have also tried your big soft ginger cookies. Bob (who isn't really into spice things) kept eating them and saying, "These are so strange, but so good." The rest of us were a lot less ambivalent about them.

    ReplyDelete